- 1 cup toover dal
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (Methi)
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2tsp cumin seeds
- 250 gms bottle gourd (Lauki/dudhi) , cut into pieces
- 6 to 8 drumsticks pieces
- 1 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 6 to 7 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp tamrind ( Imali)
- 2 tbsp samber masala /powder
- 4 medium sized onions
- 3 tbsp oil
- coriander leaves, chopped for garnishing
- 1 large or 2 medium tomatoes thinly chopped / sliced
- Salt to taste
- Wash the dal thoroughly and add 4 to 5 cups of water.
- Pressure cook the dal until soft. (Probably in 3 whistles dal gets soft).
- Boil the pumpkin with the drumsticks in 2 cups of water. Drain and add to the dal.
- Soak the tamarind in a little water and keep aside for around 30 minutes. Rub the tamarind by hand and strain. Add to the dal mixture.
- Heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, Cumin seeds until they begin to crackle. Add the curry leaves and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add sambhar powder, asafoetida, cooked dal mixture.
- Add tomatoes.
- Add salt and boil for another 5 to 6 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Idali, Dosa, Uttapam, Medu vada or any south Indian dish.